Thursday, October 6, 2011

Betsy Newmeyer's Current Query

More queries. Today is Betsy Newmeyer's query letter. I can't find her blog, so if she stops by today with that information, I'll be sure to update the post.

Remember, today is just for introductions. Please save your feedback for tomorrow.

The query:

Dear Ms. REDACTED,

FBI Agent Jonah White threw away a promising career to find justice for his sister’s murder. However, with the suspected killer already six feet under, all Jonah can do now is wine and dine the man’s grieving widow, Maya Savantes, to recover the inheritance her husband stole from Jonah’s sister.

Working undercover is never easy, but falling in love with Maya--a possible accomplice to murder--definitely wasn’t part of the plan. As he tries to sidestep Maya’s suspicions, and his own feelings, he learns two things: 1) there’s a pissed off, trigger-happy loan shark willing to put both Maya and Jonah in his sights to get the inheritance money, and 2) Maya’s husband isn’t so dead after all.

When his cover is blown and Maya’s daughter kidnapped, Jonah will be forced to plan a daring rescue. Only, it won’t be his life on the line in the final shootout.

REDEMPTION FOR LIARS (75,000 words) is a romantic suspense novel set in Hill’s Creek, Texas, a fictitious town where the kinfolk like their secrets the way they like their steaks; big and juicy. I’m a Romance Writers of America member and a 2nd place finalist in the 2011 Dixie First Chapter contest for the first chapter of this novel.

Thank you for considering my book for representation.

Elizabeth Newmeyer (Betsy)

That's it.

Please welcome Betsy in the comments, but more importantly, be sure to come back tomorrow for the feedback.

UPDATE: Betsy's blog can be found, here.

20 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Welcome Betsy! Your book sounds very interesting! :o)

Old Kitty said...

Oh I like the book already!!! Yay!! Take care
x

LTM said...

um... wow. Good luck w/that one, my friend. It looks ready to go!

No, I'll send you my notes. ;p

J.L. Campbell said...

I love romantic suspense, and this book sounds intriguing.

Laura M. Campbell said...

Hi Betsy! I love complicated romances with suspenseful twists! I'll be sure to return tomorrow for the feedback session.

Slamdunk said...

I had to go back and read Marcy's letter review from yesterday--I missed it.

Betsy's book is up my alley--crime and law enforcement, and I'll be interested to see what recommendations that you and your group have for her.

Carolyn V said...

The book sounds great! I'll be back tomorrow for comments.

Jess said...

Sounds like it's packed full of internal & external conflict~ awesome!

Karen Baldwin said...

Short is always good. The story sounds interesting. Your voice really comes through which is always a plus.

Michael G-G said...

Looking forward to it! (Sounds as if you might be feeling better...?)

Hilary Wagner said...

Betsy, welcome! I know it sounds silly to even comment on, but I like the length of the book, 75K. Many agents shy away from debut books that are too much longer than that. I think 75k-85k is a perfect length.

:)

Best of luck!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This seems very clean. Looks like an interesting book too! ;)

D.G. Hudson said...

Welcome, Betsy, and thanks for being the one on the hotseat.

Murders, and mysteries always intrigue me, so I'll be back to follow Matt's redlining.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Oh the stereotypes of Texas. However, I'm all for stereotyping that rednecked, politically corrupt state of the union. And yes...I say politically corrupt because I know a lot about the politics of Texas and how they stuff ballot boxes.

Nice meeting you Betsy!

Angela Brown said...

Thanks so much, Betsy, for putting your query up for our edification. Oh wait, YOUR edification. So selfish of me :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like it! Be back tomorrow.

Kristen Wixted said...

Cool title Betsy! Looking fwd to the critique.

Kristen Pelfrey said...

Betsy, thank you for including us in your process!
I'll be checking in tomorrow!

Matthew--are you feeling better?

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Whoa. Solid query. Really great hook. I'll try to come back tomorrow for a more thorough response.

dolorah said...

I already like it.

Nice to meet you Betsy :)

........dhole