Thursday, March 29, 2012

Nicole Zoltack's Current Query

First off, Rest in Peace, Adrienne Rich. Adrienne Cecile Rich (May 16, 1929 – March 27, 2012) was an American poet, essayist and feminist. She has been called "one of the most widely read and influential poets of the second half of the 20th century."

I have not read that much of Miss Rich's work, but I do so enjoy her poem Diving into the Wreck, which I won't reprint here, but you can find if you click that link.

Now, this is my last query before the A to Z challenge begins. If you somehow don't know what that is, you can find out more, here. And if you somehow haven't signed up,you can handle that, here. I strongly encourage you to take part, because the April A to Z blogging challenge is the best way to meet new bloggers and to build your readership.

So, as to today's post, surely you all know Nicole? No? She keeps a wonderful blog at Where Fantasy and Love take Flight. You should go visit her, and click that follow button.

Now here's Nicole's query:

Dear Agent,

Princess Cassandra never wants for anything, unlike her commoner friends Kylie and Vance who have to slave on their family's farm when they aren't off exploring with the reckless ten-year-old.

When Vance becomes lame during the trio's latest misadventure, Cassandra figures the royal healers can help him. If only her parents didn't pick now to teach her a lesson about shirking her royal duties to run off with her friends! As Cassandra searches for a way to pay the healers, she stumbles upon a dying which with a treasure map. The princess steals a horse (although is it really stealing when she plans on returning it?) and the trio sets off on a treasure hunt.

After a monstrous hailstorm critically injures Vance, Cassandra sends him home with his sister. Forced to bargain with a cranky centaur and outrun a hungry bear-dog without them, Cassandra continues their quest with the help of her "stolen" horse and a baby griffin she meets along the way. But she isn't the only one on the hunt. An evil sorcerer also seeks the treasure and will stop at nothing to get it. Worse, if she doesn't find the treasure soon, this adventure will be Vance's last.

THE PRINCESS'S TREASURE HUNT is a 31,000-word MG fantasy novel with series potential.

I am the author of a fantasy romance trilogy, Kingdom of Arnhem - Woman of Honor (2009), Knight of Glory (2010), and Champion of Valor (2011) published with Desert Breeze Publishing. Fifteen of my short works have appeared in various anthologies, including Mertales by Wyvern Publications, and many collections by Pill Hill Press.

(Personalization tidbit) Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Nicole Zoltack
(contact information)

That's it!

Please thank Nicole for her courage, make sure you're signed up for A to Z, and save your feedback for tomorrow.

31 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Yes, Nicole, you certainly are BRAVE!! Good look with the feedback!
Very sorry to hear about Adrienne Rich. Always hurts to lose a good one...

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing your query Nicole. I loved reading it.

Steve MC said...

I saw Adrienne Rich give a reading in Boston. People were being turned away 'cause there wasn't even room to stand in the lecture hall, and she was very classy and cool.

And a cranky centaur and baby griffin sound great for this MG.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nicole's already had query success so be curious to see what you say about this one.

Summer Frey said...

Adrienne Rich came to UGA when I was a senior there. I went with some friends, and even though we got there an hour early, we still ended up being turned away.

Lucky for me, I got to meet her on campus the next day. :D

Her poetry really is wonderful. She's one of my favorites.

farawayeyes said...

Hi Nicole,nice to meet you. Thanks for your courage and willingness to share. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Nicole, thanks for sharing your query. I look forward to following your success.

jan said...

Nicole--Queries are so hard for me! Thanks for sharing yours.

Matt--Thanks for introducing yourself as an A to Z mentor. I'll be sharing my blog with you all next month (#258--begin...begin again)...a literary blog aimed at encouraging blocked writers and artists to get started. I look forward to following you, too.

Kristen Wixted said...

Sounds like a cool MG fantasy--

Guilie Castillo said...

Wow--queries. Definitely not a favorite part of this authorhood endeavor, but I think Nicole did a pretty good job. Look forward to Matt's feedback.

Matt, thanks for introducing yourself as my A-to-Z mentor. Posting a comment here as requested, and look forward to April!

Kathy said...

Thanks Matthew. You've taken on a brave task. Thanks for being our mentor!
Kathy @
Oak Lawn Images
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.ca/

mshatch said...

wow. Thanks for the link to the poem. I had to send my sister that one.

Back tomorrow to see what you do with the query :)

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Hello Mathew: Thank you for contacting me. I have come to see your site because I am assigned to you for the A-Z blogging challenge. And a great site it is!
Very Best Wishes, jean

Bryan Russell said...

I just outran a hungry bear-dog yesterday. Very tiring. They can even climb trees.

Maryannwrites said...

Excellent query letter. I can see why Nicole has had success in the past.

I'm doing the A-z challenge for the first time and looking forward to meeting new blogger friends. I am one of those you will be "handling", Matthew. (smile)

Suze said...

Good morning, Matthew. I am here to respond to the email you sent to the bloggers involved in the A - Z. I'm glad we've already met, actually. And I am following you. Anonymously. I've decided that's how I'm going to handle the new blogs I will follow. Ride for a bit, interact, see if the thread gets picked up and turned into a rope. If not, no harm done, off to other blogs without hurting the feelers of administrators I quietly say goodbye to.

Anyhoo. I'll make a point of visiting your blog during the A - Z. Looking forward to seeing what you've prepared.

Have a great Thursday,
The Raven and the Writing Desk
(an n in both, by the way)

Shaun said...

Hi Matt, thanks for dropping my my photography blog earlier today. Im so up for the A-Z challenge now.

Find me at www.valleysshutterbug.blogspot.com

Shaun

RaShelle Workman said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm all signed up for the A-Z challenge. YAY!!!

Barbara Watson said...

Hi Nicole! I'm looking forward to reading the feedback on your query. I'm continuing to hone my own MG query.

Leovi said...

THE PRINCESS'S TREASURE HUNT I find very interesting. Now we can only prepare for the big challenge to A to Z.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yay for A to Z. And good for Nicole for doing this.

Inger said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't believe April is just around the corner. I met so many nice people, many of them authors, last year. I'm looking forward to reading many new blogs and making new friends this year. so sign up everyone!

Jessica Salyer said...

Sounds like a great story, Nicole. As always, can't wait to see what Matthew has to say.

Christina Lee said...

Hi Nicole!!! Is this your new WIP?! WOOT--nice!

Unknown said...

Hi! I am following you. I am excited about the A-Z challenge and getting to know you as 'my' co-host!

melody

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Matthew, thank you for the email. I just signed up to follow you, and am ready to go for Sunday.

Thanks for taking on our group!

Kathy M.

Jemi Fraser said...

Hi Nicole! Hi Matt! Looking forward to Matt's crit tomorrow :)

Laura said...

Interesting to read, and I'm looking forward to seeing the feedback. I just dropped by to say thanks for the A-Z email, and cheer you, mr co-host. I think you follow me at Daily Dodo, but I've kinda lost track. Looking forward to Sunday
Laura x

M Pax said...

Sounds like quite the adventure, Nicole.

Sorry to hear about Adrienne Rich.

Ciara said...

Sounds great, Nicole. Hi, I'm back and on your A to Z team. Yep, already was following you. Look forward to hanging A to Z style.

Unknown said...

hi Matt here from the A to Z challenge - just checking in :) -great blog/service/information you have here!