Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A to Z Challenge 2013: T - Tacit

Tacit

tac·it [tasit] adj. Implied or inferred without direct expression; understood.

Synonyms: implied, understood, inferred, unspoken

Etymology: c.1600, from French tacite, from Latin tacitus "that is passed over in silence, done without words, assumed, silent," prop. past participle of tacere "to be silent," from PIE root *tak- "to be silent" (cf. Gothic þahan, Old Norse þegja "to be silent," Old Norse þagna "to grow dumb," Old Saxon thagian, Old High German dagen "to be silent"). The musical instruction tacet is the 3rd person present singular of the Latin verb.

You gotta love a word with such diverse origins.

NOTE: The time has come to begin considering the A to Z Challenge Reflections Post (we're nearing the end, people)!

We will be doing a reflections post again this year and invite all participants of the Challenge to join us.

  • What did you enjoy about the Challenge?
  • What could we do better next year?
  • What issues did you encounter? (Word verification, unable to comment, long posts, etc.)
  • Did you encounter many non-participants? (With help from our minions, we tried really hard to clean the list this year.)
  • Theme or no theme – what seemed to work better? Did you find any great themes?
  • Did you have fun and will you participate again next year?

Your Reflections can be posted anytime from May 3 through May 10. The Linky List will go live May 3 and we ask you to add the link to your post, not your website, once you have posted. The Challenge hosts read every one so we know where to improve for next year.

19 comments:

Sally said...

It's a lovely word. People don't realise how much they use tacit agreements in their ordinary every-day lives. I love it when I know what my husband means without speaking or, even better, when he knows what I mean without me speaking!

farawayeyes said...

Oh, this is a good one.

Anonymous said...

A good word I don't very often come across.

Yvonne,

orneryswife said...

This is how an effective couple communicates. :)

Interesting about the review post. I will keep my eyes open for the link.
tm

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I enjoyed learning so many fabulous words from Matthew MacNish. That shall be my reflection.

Nancy Thompson said...

Darn! I'll be in AZ for the Reflections Post. What to do, what to do...

cleemckenzie said...

I've always loved the sound of this word.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Use that word often.
Wow, I wish I'd written that better since so many of you copied it!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Word verification was a pain in the rear and I actually didn't bother commenting on blogs that had it. How many times did you reiterate this? Anyhoo, I'm in for the reflections post and I had a blast this year. Stumbled across some brilliant bloggers who have inspired me to continue blogging.

Tina said...

I've always loved this word. Totally stole all your words for my Reflections announcement...thanks!
Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Andrew Leon said...

Yep... tacit and implicit and explicit. I like all of those.

Sarah Ahiers said...

i honestly don't think i've ever used this word. Weird

Susan Kane said...

I have used 'tacit' several times recently. Great word!

Krista McLaughlin said...

I've never used this word, but I might have to make it a point to in the future!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Your comment about 'diverse origins' is too funny. That is exactly what I was thinking while I read. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Good word. It sounds like its meaning with all those rolling vowels and consonants.

Steve MC said...

We have a tacit agreement that tacit is a cool word.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Matthew - I have a tacit understanding with myself .. I'll be doing the A-Z next year --- all things being equal! Cheers Hilary

Penelope Crowe said...

I LOVE words.
Happily my son is the same way and tries to find new and interesting words to intrigue himself and others.
Very cool--thanks!
XO
Pen
Visiting from A to Z: www.penelopecrowe.blogspot.com